19 December 2019
Nitin Mittal, principal with Deloitte Consulting, the US leader of the company’s Analytics and Cognitive practice and co-lead of its AI Strategic Growth Offering, has won the prestigious AI Innovator of the Year award at the AI Summit New York.
The award was presented at the event that drew together more than 4,000 specialists in AI for business, held at the Javits Center in downtown Manhattan last week.
AI Summit events have been bringing the global AI community together for the past four years and have hosted several awards celebrating excellence in AI – but 2019 was the first time we opened public vote for a new category, AI Innovator of the Year.
This award celebrates the outstanding performance of those who have driven meaningful change or spearheaded innovative projects in their position within the global AI ecosystem, whether they are a data scientist, a developer, or a visionary CxO.
A total of eighteen nominees were shortlisted, and more than 4,500 votes were cast ahead of the awards ceremony in New York.
Mittal specializes in advising clients to achieve competitive advantage through data and cognitive-powered transformations that promote amplified intelligence and enable Deloitte’s clients to make strategic choices and transform ahead of disruption.
His primary focus has been working with clients across industries, implementing large scale data programs that promote organizational intelligence, and the use of advanced analytics and AI to drive insights and business strategy.
Mittal received a bachelor’s degree in physics from Banaras Hindu University, India, and a master’s degree in management information systems from the University of Arizona.
His key achievements include:
- Enabling client impact: “One of my proudest experiences includes implementing a first of its kind advanced analytics ecosystem to enable personalized medicine,” Mittal told AI Business.
- Incubating new businesses within the Analytics & Cognitive practice: including an Advanced Analytics business three years ago, that has morphed into AI Insights and Engagement – one of Deloitte’s key market offerings.
- Envisioning and guiding Deloitte’s initiative to evolve the consulting model through automation and Digital FTEs.
“I am honored to receive the AI Innovator of the Year award, and grateful for events like the AI Summit that bring together businesses, experts and organizations to explore the potential of AI,” Mittal said.
“I truly believe that the biggest opportunity we have with AI today is in the Age of With, meaning we now have the means as humans to work with intelligent machines. This isn’t just about AI systems, sophisticated algorithms or machines replacing humans – it’s about augmenting technological and human capabilities so that we as a society can harness the exponential possibilities with AI, in a compassionate manner, to make a difference for companies and people alike.”
“The AI Summit series of events has just concluded an incredible 2019, built on the strength of the ever-growing AI community, and celebrating its unsung heroes is an example of us trying to give back to that community,” said Stacey Hughes, commercial director at AI Business.
“The AI Innovator of the Year award recognizes that this industry moves forward thanks to the contributions of outstanding individuals: their drive, innovation and hard work. Congratulations to Nitin, and watch out for the return of this category in 2020!”
The full shortlist of nominees included some of the leading experts in AI and machine learning for business:
- Andrew Moore – Head of Cloud, Google AI
- Danah Boyd – Founder, Data & Society
- David Kenny – Chief Diversity Officer, Nielsen AI
- David Linthicum – Chief Cloud Strategy Officer, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- Joseph Sirosh – CTO, Compass
- Josh Gordon – Developer Advocate, Tensorflow (Google)
- Kate Crawford – Co-Founder, AI Now Institute
- Kirk Borne – Principal Data Scientist, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Lori Beer – Global Chief Information Officer, JPMorgan Chase
- Mark Tabladillo – Cloud Solution Architect, Microsoft
- Nitin Mittal – Principal – Analytics and Cognitive, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- Paul Barba – Chief Scientist, Lexalytics
- Paul Daugherty – CTO, Accenture
- Rashed Haq – Global Head of AI & Data, Publicis Sapient
- Ruslan Salakhutdinov – UPMC Professor of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University
- Soumith Chintala – PyTorch Creator, Facebook AI
- Vincent Boucher – Founding Chairman, Montreal AI
- Yann LeCun – VP & Chief AI Scientist, Facebook